Table of Contents Hide
- What is a Blog?
- Why Should I Create a Blog?
- What Do I Need to Create a Blog?
- How to Create a Blog and Make Money Online: Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Create a Blopspot (Blogger) Blog
- How to Create a Self-hosted WordPress Blog
- How to Monetize Your Blog
- What is SEO in Blogging?
We will be sharing a step-by-step guide on how to create a blog and make money online from the comfort of your home or any location.
If you have ever considered launching your own blog online and earning money from it, then this guide will surely make that dream a reality. As you might expect, it will not be easy without hard work, research, and perseverance.
If your only purpose for creating a blog is to make money, then you will be disappointed in the long run because you’re not actually passionate about writing in the first place. The art of blogging requires time and focus, but if you lack a deep-seated passion for your blog or are expecting fast pay checks, then you’ll be hit by a tide of frustration and upset.
What is a Blog?
The Oxford Dictionaries will define a blog as a regularly updated website or web page that is run by an individual or small group. Whichever way you choose to define it, the purpose is still the same.
A blog offers discussions or information about a particular topic (niche) to either provide a solution to a problem or provide more information.
Why Should I Create a Blog?
Individuals around the world have different passions and skills that might be needed by someone else somewhere. With a blog, you can put your passion online for those in need of it to find them. This is the best way to make money online while doing something you love.
Let’s take an example. I am very passionate about football, and I can give analysis and insights on football players and matches. I can create a blog to share this passion with a worldwide audience and make money doing it.
What Do I Need to Create a Blog?
You might be thinking about the money you’ll have to spend while creating your blog, but you’re still starting out, you won’t have to spend much, and also, there are options. You can choose to start a free blogger.com blog or a paid WordPress blog, but we’ll be discussing this later on in this guide.
How to Create a Blog and Make Money Online: Step-by-Step Guide
Okay, you’re now ready to launch the next top blog on the internet. Here are some step-by-step guides to follow.
1. Pick a Topic (Niche)
The first thing you should do is figure out what niche you want to focus on for your blog. The word “niche” in blogging simply means that the blog will be providing content that specializes in a particular topic. For example, music, football, celebrities, or even baking. The list is endless, and you can pick one based on your passion or skill.
Even if there are millions of other successful bloggers in your niche, you will still thrive if you are well versed in that topic.
2. Select a Platform
As we mentioned earlier, you can choose to start your blogging platform on a free platform like blogger.com or you can pay for a WordPress hosting plan from a trusted hosting company. But you should know that there are some differences between the two in terms of usability.
Some Differences between Blogger and Paid WordPress
- Blogger doesn’t require you to install any hosting plan because it is a free blogging platform owned by Google, unlike WordPress, which requires a hosting plan.
- On Blogger, you have to manually add certain features and SEO setup either from the html editor or the widget area, unlike on WordPress, which offers different plugins for easy access.
- WordPress themes are more professional than native Blogger themes.
3. Choose a Domain Name
If you have made up your mind on the platform to use, the next step is to get a custom domain name that will help potential audiences identify your blog.
Your domain name should be short but focused on your niche. There are different hosting services that are trusted for domain and hosting purchases (that’s if you are going with WordPress).
Some of these hosting companies are BlueHost, HostGator, 1&1 Hosting, Namecheap, etc. Here are some things you should consider while selecting your domain name.
- Go for a top-level domain (TLD) such as .com or .net.
Keep the domain as short as possible, no more than 15 characters.
- If you are using blogger get a custom domain and link to your blopgspot subdomain.
- Do not purchase a domain name with hyphens and other characters associated with spammers.
How to Create a Blopspot (Blogger) Blog
Before you can create a blog on Blogger, you will need a Google account. If you already have an active Google account, proceed to follow the steps below.
- First, go to blogger.com on your web browser.
- Next, click on Sign in and login with your Google account.
- Now, you should be able to create a blog with the blopgspot subdomain.
- Finally, complete other minor settings, like selecting a theme, etc.
That’s all. After you have purchased your custom domain, you can go to Settings > Custom domain and then follow the steps to link your blopgspot blog to that custom domain.
How to Create a Self-hosted WordPress Blog
For a start, I’ll be using Namecheap shared hosting for this guide. You can always upgrade to a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or a dedicated-hosting solution when your audience starts to grow.
Note that these steps might still be similar with other hosts like Bluehost etc. Since we will be using Cpanel
- First, you need to create an account on Namecheap or any host of your choice.
- Next, select the hosting plan you want to purchase. You can go for a shared hosting plan for a start.
- Next, you can choose to also purchase your domain with the hosting plan or add an existing domain.
- Proceed to make payments.
- After payment is confirmed, you should get details of your hosting sent to your email address.
- From your Namecheap dashboard, navigate to your domain hosting and go to cpanel.
- On the cpanel search for “Softaculous” and from the Softaculous installer find and install WordPress.
- You will create your WordPress username and password, which you’ll use to login at yourdomain.com/wp-admin (change yourdomain.com to your domain).
That’s all. You can now login to your WordPress blog, change your theme and proceed to start creating articles before you consider monetization.
How to Monetize Your Blog
You have created your blog. The next step is to monetize your content, but you should not be in a hurry to start making money. One of the most popular means of monetization for bloggers is Google Adsense, but since your blog is still new, you might not meet the minimum content requirements. Here are some criteria for Google Adsense approval.
- Make sure your domain is more than 30 days old.
- Make sure you have more than 15 well-written original articles. This means plagiarism-free content that is unique and relevant.
- Make sure your blog is responsive. This means your blog should be easy to navigate.
- Create pages for privacy policies, disclaimers, or terms and conditions.
- Your content should not be locked or hidden from the public.
Of course, there are many other options available for monetization, like affiliate marketing and some other Google Adsense alternatives. But at the end of the day, Google Adsense is still the best platform for bloggers.
What is SEO in Blogging?
The term “SEO” simply means “search engine optimization.” If correctly implemented, SEO makes it possible for your blog to generate more organic traffic.
As a new blogger, your website should be added to Google’s webmaster tool for better indexing of your blog in the Google search results.
This article has provided a step-by-step guide on how to create a blog and make money online, but you have to be really passionate about blogging before you can grow as a blogger. As a blogger who’s built a number of blogs over the years, I can assure you that success will surely come in the long run as long as you keep on adding relevant content.