Table of Contents Hide
In this guide, you will learn how to disable read receipts in WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger both have something in common, and that is the read receipt function that notifies the sender when the receiver has viewed their message. This feature has proven to be helpful in knowing when someone has read your message but doesn’t want to reply.
Do you know that you can keep things more private by disabling read receipts in WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger? Yes, you can choose to not allow the sender the freedom to know when you have read their message, and we’ll be providing the steps in this article.
You can always re-enable read receipts at any time.
How to Disable Read Receipts in WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger
Follow the steps below to turn off read receipts on both your WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
How to disable read receipts in WhatsApp
- First, open the WhatsApp app.
- Next, click on the three dots icon in the top-right corner of the screen. Tap on Settings.
- From the Settings screen, go to Account > Privacy.
- Finally, you should see an option called “Read Receipt”. Toggle it off to disable it in individual chats.
That’s all. You can also toggle it back on to activate read receipts whenever you want. But it is important to note that read receipts cannot be disabled for group chats.
How to disable read receipts on Facebook Messenger
As at the time of writing this guide, the option to disable read receipts on Facebook Messenger is not available, but there is an alternative feature with similar functionality. This option in settings, called Active On, makes it possible to disable your Active Now status on Facebook.
This means users will not be able to see the last time you were online. You can set this up by going to the Messenger app > clicking on your profile icon > From Active ‘On’ > Toggling it ‘Off’.
That’s all. If the Active On feature is not enough, then you can try this next step, which makes it possible to read a message without letting the sender know, but there is a downside to this, which we’ll be sharing below.
- After you have received the message on Facebook Messenger, go ahead and turn on Airplane Mode from your phone’s Settings.
- Your device’s internet and network connections should be disabled when in airplane mode.
- Since you’re not connected to the internet, you can open Messenger and view the message.
- When you are done reading the message, close the app, and swipe it out of your app drawer.
That’s all. You can now turn off airplane mode on your phone, but remember the downside we talked about? Well, although you have read the message without the sender being notified, you should know that once you open the app and are connected to the internet, Facebook will then notify the sender that you viewed the message.
Another downside is that you cannot download files and images while you have enabled airplane mode.
- Vizio TV Power Cord Not Working: How to Fix - October 3, 2022
- Can You Charge AirPods with a 20W Charger? Answered - September 29, 2022
- List of Universal Remote Codes for Vizio TV and Setup Guide [Updated] - September 25, 2022
Hownaijablog participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program; therefore, some pages on this website may contain affiliate links. When you buy through these links, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.