Table of Contents Hide
In this guide, you’ll learn the best ways to fix AirPods Max connection issues.
The Apple AirPods Max have proven to be effective with enhanced features like noise cancellation, transparency, and a long listening time. However, when you have connection issues, such as your AirPods Max disconnecting from your phone, iPad, or computer, it can be extremely frustrating.
The best ways to fix AirPods Max connection issues are to reset your Bluetooth connection, update your device, disable auto-head detection, or disable auto switching.
These are the basic fixes, but you can also close the gap between the AirPods Max and the device it is connected to. The last thing you’ll want to try is resetting your AirPods Max to their default factory settings.
These are just the highlights; we have a more detailed guide below, but before that, let’s understand why you are having connection issues on your AirPods Max.
Why Are my AirPods Max Not Connecting?
There are different reasons why your AirPods Max are not connecting, and these are either related to software or hardware if the device is damaged. Software issues include updates and glitches.
Best Ways to Fix AirPods Max Connection Issues
1. Reset your Bluetooth Connection
Since you are dealing with a connection issue, the first thing you’ll want to try is to reset the Bluetooth of the device that you are connecting your AirPods Max to.
To do this on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, go to Settings > Bluetooth, and then turn off Bluetooth.
Then wait for a few seconds and turn on the Bluetooth again. This should fix the connection issue on your AirPods Max if it was related to Bluetooth.
2. Update Your Device
System updates tend to fix bugs that were found in the older version of the software. This is why you’ll need to update your devices, like the iOS, iPad OS, macOS, and even your AirPods, on a regular basis.
But, unlike the iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices, you do not have a straight-forward way of just updating your AirPods when you choose by just checking for an update through the Settings app and then clicking Update to update the firmware.
Instead, the process to update AirPods is different since you’ll need the AirPods to be connected to a device with an internet connection. Follow the steps below to update your AirPods.
- First, connect your AirPods Max to any of your devices using Bluetooth.
- Next, place your AirPods Max inside the case.
- Now, connect your Lightning cable to the AirPods Max so they can charge.
That’s all. If there are any available firmware updates, your AirPods Max should detect and install them in about 15 minutes.
3. Disable Auto-head Detection
If you have the automatic head detection feature enabled on your AirPods Max, then that might be the cause of your connection issue. As the name implies, the automatic head detection feature selects where sound will be played when your AirPods Max are connected to a device.
So, it detects when you have AirPods Max on your head and plays through them, then stops playing through the AirPods Max when you take them off.
Since the process is automatically done it might not be 100% accurate all the time. meaning that your AirPods Max can disconnect while still on your ears if the internal software is struggling to identify if the headphones are on or off at any given time.
Most of the time, the problem is caused by the automatic head detection feature, but turning that feature off might solve the problem.
- First, connect your AirPods Max to your device.
- Next, go to the Settings app on your device and tap on Bluetooth.
- Your AirPods Max should be among the list of devices.
- Now, tap on the (i) button next to your device, and finally toggle the Automatic Head Detection feature off.
4. Disable Auto Switching
Apple AirPods Max have an automatic switching feature that allows them to switch between your devices, depending on which one you are using at the moment.
This means if you’re listening to something on your iPhone with your AirPods Max and you pick up another device, like the iPad, your AirPods Max might switch from the iPhone to the new device.
If you use multiple devices simultaneously, you may need to disable this feature to stop your AirPods Max from automatically stopping the connection when you use other devices.
- First, make sure your AirPods Max are connected to your device.
- Next, go to Settings > Bluetooth, and then tap on the (i) button next to your AirPods Max.
- Now, tap the Connect to this iPhone option.
- Finally, from the next screen, choose “When last connected to this iPhone” instead of “automatically.”
That’s all. Your AirPods will no longer switch between devices, thereby solving the connection problem.
5. Close the Gap Between AirPods Max and Device
Since you’re using a Bluetooth connection, both devices need to be within range in order to work perfectly. You’ll notice that as you move your AirPods Max further away from the device they are connected to, the connection will no longer be stable.
This is a limitation on the Bluetooth connection, and the only solution is to close the gap between both devices.
6. Reset Your AirPods Max
This is the last thing you’ll want to try because this process will hard reset your AirPods Max. This means that all important data from previously known devices will be lost.
You’ll need to set up the AirPods Max as if it were a completely new device. Follow the steps below to reset your AirPods Max.
- First, connect your AirPods Max to a lightning cable and charge them for a few minutes.
- Next, hold down the Noise Control and Digital Crown Buttons together for at least 15 seconds.
- This will make the LED light blink from amber to white.
- If your AirPods Max have switched to white, then they have now been reset.
You can now connect to your iPhone, iPad, or Mac and follow instructions to complete the setup.
These are the best ways to fix AirPods Max connection issues. Although the fixes above focused on software-level problems, that is enough to fix the issue unless you have a defective AirPods Max device.
If that is the case, you can contact customer support or visit a service center.
- Vizio TV Power Cord Not Working: How to Fix - October 3, 2022
- Can You Charge AirPods with a 20W Charger? Answered - September 29, 2022
- List of Universal Remote Codes for Vizio TV and Setup Guide [Updated] - September 25, 2022
Hownaijablog participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program; therefore, some pages on this website may contain affiliate links. When you buy through these links, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.