Last Updated on December 28, 2022 by Louis Ojibe
In this guide, you’ll learn how to scan for channels on Vizio TV without a remote control if the controller is lost or no longer works.
I’ll also be sharing other alternative ways to scan for channels on your Vizio TV if the remote control that came prepackaged with the TV is no longer working.
You can scan for channels on Vizio TV without a remote control by using the buttons on the TV itself. The location of the buttons on a Vizio TV may vary depending on the model and the design of the TV. But most Vizio TVs have a power button and channel buttons located on the lower right or lower left side of the TV, or on the side or back of the TV.
Alternatively, you can get a universal remote control connected to your TV, or better yet, use your smartphone as a remote for your TV.
In the following sections, I’ll go over the solutions mentioned above in greater detail.
Scanning Channels on a Vizio TV Without a Remote
I made a brief instance of using the buttons on the TV to scan for channels without the remote control. Since your Vizio TV has a manual power button, it should also have volume buttons and an input button.
Unfortunately, Vizio TVs do not have a menu button that you can press to access the on-screen menu and navigate to the channel scan option. Instead, you’ll have to use a workaround.
Follow the steps below to scan for channels on Vizio TV using the buttons on the TV:
- First, find the buttons on the TV and press the “Input” button several times until you are on the “TV” or “ANT” input. The name of the input depends on your TV model.
- Next, press and hold down the “input” button and “volume down” button for a few seconds, and a bar will pop up on the screen with all menu options.
- Use the directional buttons to select the “TV” or “Tuner” option from the menu. The particular option available depends on your model.
- Now, highlight Tuner Mode and select the correct option between Antenna (over-the air signals from an antenna) and Cable.
- Finally, select “Auto Search” or “Auto Channel Scan,” depending on the option available on your model.
That’s all. After the search is 100% complete, you’ll be able to view all the channels available in your area.
2. Use a Smartphone as a Remote
If you have a smartphone or tablet with a built-in IR blaster (infrared transmitter), you can use it as a remote control for your Vizio TV. For this, you can use the SmartCast app or another third-party app that uses IR. Here’s how:
Using the SmartCast App as a TV Remote
With the Vizio SmartCast app, you can use your smartphone to control your TV without the need for an external remote control.
Follow the steps below to use your smartphone as a remote control:
- First, download the Vizio Smartcast app from either the Google Play Store or the iOS App Store, depending on your device’s OS.
- Next, open the SmartCast app on your smartphone and tap “Control,” located at the bottom.
- Tap “Devices” from the top-right corner, then select your television from the list of available devices.
- Finally, after you have selected your television, the control menu will appear on your phone’s screen.
- You can swipe the screen to the left to use the movement buttons.
You will be able to perform all the normal functions of a remote control, like changing the input, accessing the menu, and scanning for channels from the menu screen.
Using a Third-party app as a Remote
If your smartphone has an IR blaster, you can download a third-party remote control app to control your TV. You can check your device’s app store for some remotes.
You should also read other user reviews before downloading a third-party app from the app store.
3. Use a Universal Remote
If you don’t have your Vizio remote, you can try using a universal remote to control your Vizio TV.
A universal remote works like your Vizio TV remote, with the only difference being the manufacturer. You can then use the universal remote to scan for channels.
At this point, you now know how to scan for channels on Vizio TV without a remote by using the buttons on the TV itself, a smartphone or tablet, or a universal remote in place of your Vizio remote.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why won’t my Vizio TV scan channels?
If your Vizio TV won’t scan channels, you need to first make sure the cord from your antenna or cable is securely connected to your TV and the device is powered on if it is required.
If your cord is securely connected to both the TV and the device, then you need to make sure you’re on the correct input. You can use the input button to switch input from TV, Comp, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc. depending on the port the device is connected to.
How do you reset a Vizio remote control?
If your Vizio TV’s remote control isn’t working, you can reset it by performing a power cycle to see if the issue is resolved. Power cycling involves removing the batteries, holding down the power button, and then reinserting the batteries.
If the remote doesn’t work after a power cycle, it might be damaged, and you may have to purchase a replacement remote.
Hownaijablog participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program; therefore, some pages on this website may contain affiliate links. When you buy through these links, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
- How to Find an Instagram Account by Phone Number - February 5, 2023
- How to Find a Twitter Account by Email or Phone Number - February 4, 2023
- Why is One of my AirPods Not Working? Best Ways to Fix it - February 4, 2023